Yankees Promote George Lombard Jr. After Quiet Deadline

Tuesday, August 4, 2026 — the day after the Trade Deadline.

Brian Cashman spent July calling every club with a shortstop and came away with nothing. On Monday he explained why: “We engaged everybody,” he said, adding that he simply didn’t see many available options that represented an actual upgrade.

Twenty-four hours later, the Yankees found their upgrade in their own system.

Lombard Arrives

New York signed George Lombard Jr. to a major league contract Tuesday and slotted the 21-year-old into the lineup for his big league debut against the Cardinals — starting at shortstop, batting eighth.

The corresponding moves tell the whole story. The Yankees optioned Anthony Volpe, Jasson Domínguez and reliever Angel Chivilli to Triple-A, activated Heliot Ramos (acquired from San Francisco on Monday, batting cleanup in left field) and recalled right-hander Yerry de los Santos. Luis García Jr., the other deadline pickup, had already debuted Monday night.

That is a substantially different roster than the one that took the field a week ago.

Why Now

Lombard’s promotion was arguably decided in July, when the Yankees declined to include him in any deadline package. He was reportedly a non-starter in talks — along with right-hander Carlos Lagrange — while New York asked about Zach Neto, CJ Abrams and Jeremy Peña and got told no by everyone.

Keeping him and then not playing him would have made little sense. And the numbers had made the case anyway.

Across three levels this season, Lombard has hit .284/.411/.498 with 24 doubles and 60 walks in 78 games, posting a .405 on-base percentage over 262 plate appearances at Triple-A. He missed nearly a month after spraining two fingers on his left hand in mid-June and has been scorching since returning — .377 with a 1.081 OPS across 14 games.

The Yankees have long considered his glove big league ready. He’ll play shortstop, though he has also started 11 games at third base this year.

The Volpe Chapter Closes

The symmetry is hard to miss. Volpe was also the Yankees’ top prospect when they handed him the Opening Day shortstop job in 2023 — a Manhattan-born, New Jersey-raised lifelong fan arriving with enormous expectations.

He won a Gold Glove and hit 21 homers with 24 steals as a rookie, and it never built from there. His career .660 OPS ranks 155th among 158 hitters with at least 1,500 plate appearances since 2023. He played most of last season with a torn labrum that wasn’t disclosed until after the Yankees were eliminated, then had arthroscopic surgery in October. This year he hit .240 with one home run in 56 games while splitting time with José Caballero.

Now he’s in Scranton, and the job belongs to a 21-year-old.

A Baseball Move, Not a Marketing One

Worth noting what this isn’t. Lombard is arriving too late to factor into the Rookie of the Year race, and if he stays on the roster he’ll shed rookie eligibility this year — meaning no Prospect Promotion Incentive draft pick for the Yankees.

There’s no service-time angle and no award incentive. This is a team that needs help at shortstop calling up the best internal option, which is refreshingly straightforward by modern standards.

His right-handed bat also addresses a real structural issue: a Yankees lineup that has skewed heavily left-handed all season, especially with Aaron Judge still not cleared for baseball activities and Cody Bellinger out with a hamstring strain.

The Backstory

Lombard was New York’s first-round pick in 2023, taken 26th overall out of Gulliver Prep in Miami. He grew up in major league clubhouses — his father, George Lombard Sr., played six seasons in the big leagues and has spent the last 11 years coaching, currently as Detroit’s bench coach.

MLB Pipeline had projected a 2027 arrival as recently as last spring. An aggressive Double-A promotion at 19 accelerated everything.

Where This Leaves New York

The Yankees entered Tuesday at 63-50, within reach of the first-place Rays in the AL East and holding the top AL Wild Card spot. They got bats at the deadline in García and Ramos. They did not get the catcher they wanted, and their two best hitters remain on the injured list.

So the plan for August is a 21-year-old shortstop, two new outfielders and a lot of hope about medical timelines. It isn’t the deadline Cashman drew up. It might still be the most interesting month of the Yankees’ season.

Add a comment

Site Search