The Yankees placed Max Fried on the 15-day injured list Monday with a left elbow bone bruise — the identical diagnosis that cost him two months earlier this season. Then, on Tuesday, Aaron Boone said Aaron Judge will begin his hitting progression this week.
Both items matter enormously, and neither is what it appears at first glance.
The Fried Situation Is Better Than It Looked
The initial reaction in New York was understandable panic. Fried had just come back from a two-month absence with this exact injury, exited his August 13 start against Seattle after five innings, and was back on the IL within days, retroactive to Friday.
Boone offered real reassurance on Tuesday. An MRI revealed only low-level inflammation, Fried is still playing catch, and the club is hoping for a minimal stay. Boone framed the move as largely precautionary.
The Yankees can afford that posture. They are all but assured of a Wild Card berth and sit five games behind Tampa Bay in the AL East — a deficit that would be difficult to erase even at full strength. There is no competitive reason to push a $218 million left-hander with a history of elbow issues through August.
Carlos Rodón returned from his own IL stint on Tuesday against Baltimore, which softens the blow. New York has still never run Fried, Gerrit Cole, Rodón and Cam Schlittler out in the same rotation.
Judge Is Finally Swinging
This is the bigger development. Judge hasn’t appeared in a game since May 31, sidelined by a fractured right rib he traces back to a diving attempt in Houston on April 26. He was placed on the 10-day injured list June 5 and later transferred to the 60-day list.
Beginning a hitting progression is the step everything else depends on. A rehab assignment logically follows, and given how much game action he’s missed, that stint could be lengthy. September remains the realistic target.
Before the injury, Judge was hitting .248 with a .375 on-base percentage, a .907 OPS, 17 home runs and 38 RBIs across 59 games.
The Rest of the Ward
Cody Bellinger is closer than Judge. He suffered a Grade 2 left hamstring strain on July 26 with a four-to-six week timeline, has taken on-field batting practice, and said hitting is no problem while running in a straight line feels good. He’s been ahead of schedule throughout.
Giancarlo Stanton is progressing and may need a rehab assignment of his own. Boone indicated both Bellinger and Stanton will likely be back before Judge.
What This Says About the Deadline
Brian Cashman was criticized for a quiet August 3. He couldn’t land a catcher, settled for Luis García Jr. and Heliot Ramos, and declined to move George Lombard Jr. or Carlos Lagrange.
The logic underneath that restraint is now visible. New York’s front office was betting that its three injured sluggers would return for the stretch run, that the best pitching staff in baseball would hold the fort until then, and that spending prospect capital on stopgaps was the wrong trade.
The Yankees have won consistently through August with rookies in the lineup. If Judge, Bellinger and Stanton all return healthy in September, the roster that walks into October looks nothing like the one that played July — and Cashman’s patience looks a great deal smarter than it did two weeks ago.
That is a large number of medical assumptions stacked on top of one another. But for the first time all summer, they’re all trending the right way.

Add a comment