Ketel Marte's Absence Complicates Arizona's Winter Plans

The Diamondbacks are one game out of a playoff spot with six weeks to play. On Monday night in Boston, their best player was not in the building.

What Happened

Marte had been penciled in as the designated hitter. Arizona held its lineup card back until roughly 20 minutes before game time hoping he would arrive. He didn’t. The club placed him on the restricted list and recalled infielder José Fernández from Triple-A Reno.

Manager Torey Lovullo said afterward that Marte is dealing with a personal matter and that, as far as the team knows, he is fine. “It’s been a crazy day,” Lovullo said following an 11-1 loss. He had spoken with Marte twice that day without getting clear answers.

Geraldo Perdomo, one of Marte’s closest friends on the roster, said he had no information and hadn’t spoken with him.

There is also a physical component in the background: Marte has been managing soreness in his left knee, was removed from Friday’s game because of it, sat Saturday and returned Sunday.

This is a personal situation and it deserves to be treated as one. But it has roster and market consequences, and those are worth laying out plainly.

The Timing Is Brutal

Arizona entered Monday at 66-60, one game behind San Diego for the third and final NL Wild Card spot. The Padres just swept Milwaukee. The Phillies are right there. This is the stretch of schedule that decides the season.

Marte hasn’t been at his best — a .249/.314/.446 line across 519 plate appearances, and little production since the start of July — but he still leads the team with 21 home runs, and his 34.9 career WAR with Arizona ranks third in franchise history.

The Part That Affects the Winter

Here is what makes this genuinely complicated from a roster-building standpoint.

Marte was in trade rumors last offseason. Arizona set a very high asking price, and by early January the front office stopped taking calls entirely in order to focus on adding to the 2026 roster.

That window has now closed permanently. In early April, Marte reached ten years of major league service time with five-plus consecutive years on the same club, which grants him full 10-and-5 rights. He can veto any trade, to any team, for any reason.

He is also in the middle of a nine-figure extension that runs through at least 2030, with a player option beyond that. Combine a full no-trade clause, a long-term commitment, a 32-year-old with declining production and a knee issue, and you have a contract that is close to immovable even if both sides wanted a change.

The Second Occurrence

This is the second consecutive season Marte has landed on the restricted list. Last year he spent a couple of days there coming out of the All-Star break, following a burglary at his home and an unexcused absence in the Dominican Republic. Lovullo and general manager Mike Hazen backed him publicly at the time, and Marte apologized.

That history matters less as a character question — both times involved circumstances the public doesn’t fully know — and more as a practical one. Acquiring clubs price in availability. Two restricted-list stints in two years, on top of the no-trade rights and the contract, effectively removes Marte from the offseason trade board.

What Arizona Does Now

They play. José Fernández happened to already be in Boston as insurance in case Nolan Arenado needed the injured list, which is the only piece of luck in the whole sequence.

Arizona bought at the deadline, adding Lars Nootbaar from the Cardinals to address an outfield need, and has gone 14-9 since the All-Star break. This roster is good enough to reach October.

Whether it does may come down to how quickly its best player is back in the lineup — and right now, nobody in the organization seems to know the answer.

Add a comment

Site Search